The Good, The Bad & The Weird While Traveling in Vietnam
Though VNAT in 2018 claimed 40% of foreign visitors return to Vietnam, the figure can be significantly lower. Actually it has improved over years since 2010 that only 5% of visitors return to Vietnam for their second trip according to the Economist.
Nevetherless you choose Vietnam as your next destination, and here are the bad, the good and the weird things you could encouter during your trip
- Street foods are awesome, typically Banh Mi, Bun Cha, Banh Cuon Bun Bo Hue, Egg coffee and they are fairly cheap.
- It is worth visiting (cheap place with a lot of attractions - cave networks and natural scenery, Halong Bay, Ha Giang Loop, Sapa, Phong Nha cave, Tam Coc, Trang An Lanscape Complex, Bai Dinh - Ninh Binh, Hoi An Old Town, beautiful beaches in the south)
- Exciting nighlife in Nha Trang, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh city
- Cu Chi Tunnels - it was a war and there were deadly traps for defending enermies during the war, and the unreal life under tunnels
- Overcharged, scam and unfriendly look - this doesn't not frequently happen now services are exposed on social media and Google Map reviews pretty much that if you can easily to skip a place. Only on some occasions that tourists randomly do things that they didn't get any info in advance.
- I heard countless stories from tourists that how street vendors feel happy when they sell their good to them and charge double price than to the locals.
- Frequenct traffic congestion and air pollution, Vietnam is far way from being a developed country, but it is progressive in industrialization phases. Big corps open their factories in Hanoi and nearby provinces which attract young workers and they prefer to live in the cities because it is much easier to find jobs and to access the better education services.
- Exotic wine with snake and other animals
- Lao cigg - extremely strong cig smoked by a pipe
- Motorbike riders dress like a ninja warrior - because of air pollution, bad weather riding motorbike in Hanoi will wipe away your makeup - sun glasses, mask, a dress covers all possible parts of body that can be exposed.